Pages


Sunday 23 September 2012

Sibu


Wow. I never expected it to be that tiring. After arriving back to school , I was ready to collapse on the way back to home. It all started with going to Mana Mana and getting my hands sore. Before the trip, I was amazingly excited about it. I wanted to get all the equipment, pack and get ready for the amazing adventure. 

After getting off the bus, our energy levels were still high. Especially after seeing a KFC at the place where we caught our speedboat from. When we arrived at the island, the place looked pretty clean and resort like, but when we got our cabin-mates and cabins that smelled like a "old granny", our hopes went down. Our toilet was clean but stinky, and our flush wasn't working. Then we mentioned the good parts. We were only here for one night. And then we were going to sleep in tents and have campfires, play on the beach, and cook our own food. At least we thought it was good. 

We kayaked around to the other end of the island, and after paddling 8 kilometers, we had to get some of the camping equipment about 100 meters away and about 30 feet from our cabins. Everyone started moaning. We just paddled to the other end of the island and find that we could get (almost) unlimited resources on the other end of the island. Anyway, the rest if the day carried on and it was nice until the sleeping time. I was completely wide awake till about 2 in the morning when I woke Wasabi up to tell him about the sleeping conditions of our tent. I found myself in a embarrassing pool of sweat when I went to sleep after that. The next night in the tent when we kayaked to the north end of the island was about 110% better than the last one. 

So my first camping experience was not as good as I expected. But what we should really have been paying attention to was what was going on when we were paddling together to reach our destinations. We were learning a lot-how to co-operate together, taking leadership, putting effort, and making new friends. I learnt a great quote when we were there. Credit to whoever said this, sorry I cannot who it was.-"1 more paddle or stroke is a step closer to home".

So in the end everyone felt like going home, and no one wanted to stay at the place anymore. But it was a great experience and everybody enjoyed the other activities we did. Our class got closer relationships and we felt like we belonged in the class. Overall, it was a great place to learn and we had to go through a lot of ups and downs, getting out of our comfort zone, and in the end no one died(:p).

1 comment:

  1. I see that it was a tiring trip for you.
    I haven't Gone to Sibu, of course it is not that comfy according to you, but I am sure that you had a great experience and that you got to spend time with friends and teachers!

    ReplyDelete